Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Weekly Swatch, Part 1 - Cartridge Rib Stitch


I have been toying with the idea of creating a swatch / stitch library on the blog for quite some time, but never gotten round to actually doing something about it. As I have more time on my hands at the moment, it appears a good time to get started and commit. I can't guarantee that this will become a weekly thing, but the good intentions are there. (She says.......)

For various reasons, I am currently into simple stich motifs. When designing my own knitted objects, I found that simplicity is a good starting point. From a practical viewpoint, simple motifs make it easy to knit whilst doing something else.


Cartridge Rib Stitch



So, let's start with the cartridge rib stitch, which is incidentally also the stitch motif I utilised for Ammonite.

It works with an even or odd number of stitches and as long as you know which row you are knitting, you cannot really go wrong. One pattern repeat consists of six rows, and once these have been completed, you start at the beginning, thereby creating horizontally ribbed fabric.

Cartridge Rib Stitch:

Row 1 : Knit
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Knit
Row 5: Purl
Row 6: Knit


Here is a little swatch sample in Knitglobal 4 ply sock yarn:


Cartridge Rib Stitch in Knitglobal 4 ply sock yarn, colour: Plum




For further posts on ribbed knit stitch tutorials and my knitting patterns utilising ribbed stitches, please visit this link.



1 comment: