Sunday 9 March 2014

The Weekly Swatch, Part 4 - The Drop Stitch

Drop Stitch Knitting
Drop Stitch 


I'm currently swatching for new projects and seem to have developed a preference for the drop stitch motif. The drop stitch effect is achieved by working a succession of multiple yarn overs into the knitting. On the following row the yarn overs are simply pushed (or "dropped") off the needle, creating a rather loose fabric, which is ideal for scarves and other flowing garments.

For the sample below I used Stylecraft Kon - Tiki - a blend of 50% cotton and 50% acrylic. Kon - Tiki has a very soft feel to it and I enjoyed knitting with the yarn. That's why I was surprised to see that it has primarily been used for knitted dishcloths on Ravelry. Let's see whether I can put the balance right and find a slightly more appealing project for my stash of  Kon - Tiki.

For all knit stitch patterns and weekly swatch posts, please follow this link to my knit stitch library.

Drop Stitch Swatch (Yarn: Stylecraft Kon - Tiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment