Sunday 13 September 2020

Introducing the Virga Shawl



New Knitting Pattern: The Virga Lace Shawl


Despite having completed work on a number of new patterns in recent weeks and months, I have not updated the blog with them. 

This is about to change and I decided to make a start today by posting a few images of my new shawl pattern, the Virga shawl.

Whilst the first test knit of the pattern is now complete, the shawl still requires blocking as well as a minimal amount of finishing; and I need to get to grips with my pattern notes before combining them into a usable pattern.


Virga Lace Shawl - First test knit, unblocked
Virga Lace Shawl - first test knit, unblocked


The Virga shawl is a semi-circular / triangular lace shawl with a ruffled border. As the shawl is knitted, a sequence of repeating lace motifs resembling branches (virga is Latin for branch or shoot) is incorporated against a background of reverse stockinette stitch before a ruffled lace border is worked at the end of the project.


Virga Lace Shawl - first test knit, unblocked


The size of the shawl can be adjusted easily and due to the simplicity of the lace pattern, it is suitable for a wide variety of yarn choices. (I completed my first test knit with a budget 3 ply dk weight wool / acrylic mix by Yeoman's on size 3mm needles.)
 

Virga Lace Shawl (Yarn Yeoman's 3ply)
Virga Lace Shawl (Yarn Yeoman's 3ply) 


When incorporating the ruffled border at the end of the project, I ditched the m1l / m1r increases usually worked with this type of border and simplified the increases by knitting or purling an additional stitch into the same stitch where the increase is located. 

This resulted in an equally neat looking, ruffled border without having to perform the fiddly m1l / m1r increases. (I will post more details on this increase technique in a separate post, as I have not seen it described anywhere else.) 

For now, I am leaving you with a few images of the (unblocked) Virga shawl. My detailed written pattern for this design will be released on the blog very soon. Stay tuned.

For all of my published knitting patterns, please visit this link.


Lace Shawl (lace motif detail)
Virga Lace Shawl (lace motif detail, yarn: Yeoman's 3ply)


Lace Shawl (lace motif detail)
Virga Lace Shawl (lace motif detail) 

 
Lace knit Shawl
Virga Lace Shawl (lace motif detail) 

No comments:

Post a Comment